Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Boyz Klub. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

1500 Pts Shrike Drop Pod List, Thoughts?
Dan
Posted: Apr 11 2009, 08:58 PM

Grotz

Group: Da Boyz
Member No.: 54

Greetings chaps,

Just thought I'd stick this list I've been playing with up for your perusal. It's gone round the houses a bit, and it may or may not be the list I'm planning to use for the BBB :P (Must be mad showing it you!)

Anyway, here it is. I'll go into my reasoning behind the unit choices at the end.

HQ: Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike (195 Pts)
Bolt Pistol; Iron Halo; The Raven's Talons

Troops: Tactical Squad (245 Pts)
10x Tactical Squad; Bolt Pistol (x9); Bolter (x7); Meltagun; Multi-Melta
Sergeant w/ Bolter; Power Fist
Drop Pod; Storm Bolter; Locator Beacon

Troops: Tactical Squad (245 Pts)
10x Tactical Squad; Bolt Pistol (x9); Bolter (x7); Meltagun; Multi-Melta
Sergeant w/ Bolter; Power Fist
Drop Pod; Storm Bolter; Locator Beacon

Troops: Tactical Squad (220 Pts)
10x Tactical Squad; Bolt Pistol (x9); Bolter (x7); Flamer; Missile Launcher
Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
Drop Pod; Storm Bolter

Troops: Tactical Squad (220 Pts)
10x Tactical Squad; Bolt Pistol (x9); Bolter (x7); Flamer; Missile Launcher
Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
Drop Pod; Storm Bolter

Elite: Sternguard Veteran Squad (165 Pts)
5x Sternguard Veteran Squad; Bolt Pistol (x4); Bolter (x3); Special Issue Ammunition; Combi-Plasmagun (x1)
Drop Pod; Storm Bolter

Fast Attack: Assault Squad (210 Pts)
10x Assault Squad; Bolt Pistol (x9); Chainsword (x9); Jump Packs
Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol; Jump Pack; Melta Bombs; Power Weapon

Total Cost: 1500

So, the tactics are these. Shrike infiltrates with the Assault squad, the Melta Tactical Squads and the Sternguard turning up on the first turn. The Tactical Squads combat squad on disembarking from the DP's.

The remaining Tactical Squads set up as combat squad, leaving the Missile Launchers behind on objectives or in decent firing locations. The other half of the squads come down in DP's as reserves.

Depending on opponent, e.g. lots of armour or not, I can bring down different squads as needed.

I really wanted to run a full 10 man unit of Sternguard, but now I'm viewing them as more of a harresment unit and tempting target, taking some of the heat off of Shrike and the Assault Marines.

I was also going to field a Dread in DP, but reckon it'll get blown fairly early on in the game, so dropped it, and 5 of the Sternguard in favour of an additional Tactical Squad.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I've tried to build it as a shock and awe list. Essentially, it's got the potential of sticking 36 Marines in your deployment zone on the first turn.

Cheers,

Dan
Harry
Posted: Apr 13 2009, 01:08 PM

Orkistrator of WAAARGHS

Member No.: 27

Would the stern gaurd be mobile pains in the back side or in terrain like a fixed fire base pain in the back side?

Do bolt pistols get specail ammunition rules? :unsure:
Adam Watts
Posted: Apr 14 2009, 01:29 PM

Skarboyz

Group: Elders
Member No.: 13

what do raevns talons do.. and will you be getting first turn assault with thise infiltrating assault marines? :unsure:
Les
Posted: Apr 14 2009, 04:47 PM

Bearer of the Word

Member No.: 2

IIRC they are rending lightning claws and he probably will get 1st turn assault, though it depends where they deploy (i.e. out of sight) and if they can scout or not
Dan
Posted: Apr 14 2009, 06:06 PM

Grotz

QUOTE (Les @ Apr 14 2009, 04:47 PM)
IIRC they are rending lightning claws and he probably will get 1st turn assault, though it depends where they deploy (i.e. out of sight) and if they can scout or not

They can't Scout, but they can Fleet :P

And thats Master Crafted Rending Lightning Claws, thankyouverymuch :D

It all depends on terrain placement for these boys though. If I can set up within 18" of you, then you can guarentee I'll hit you first turn.
Les
Posted: Apr 15 2009, 07:49 AM

Bearer of the Word

QUOTE (Dan @ Apr 14 2009, 06:06 PM)
If I can set up within 18" of you, then you can guarentee I'll hit you first turn.

Mr Dan, I'm shocked that a RAWer like you made such an elementary mistake!!

You can set up in plain sight at least 18" away, meaning that (ignoring the fleet) you'll never get a first turn charge.

It's the same as the 24" no-mans land will always mean that 24" range weapons are not in range on turn 1 unless you move.

But, with the fleet and the possibility that there is apce, then you probably should.

It'll also depend on the size tables we have - if we play on 4x4 boards, there's usually very little room for infiltrators to place, except slightly ahead of the main force.

And if the opponent has infiltraitors a well, you can probably kiss goodbye to any advantage they might give you, especially on a 4x4.

However, if you manage to win the deployment and get first turn, then they become an interesting thorn in the side, though I think they should be an interesting object to squish :D
Dan
Posted: Apr 15 2009, 08:47 AM

Grotz

Thats ok, I can always Outflank him :D

But, 'at least 18"' still dictates that I can set them up at 18". 18" is 18", so to speak...

Unless I misunderstand?
Les
Posted: Apr 15 2009, 12:31 PM

Bearer of the Word

I seem to remember there being something in the FAQ or somewhere stating that if you must be "st least X distance away" even if you can move that distance you wouldn't be able to make it into close combat.

It's a real stretch of lawyerism obviously, but I do know how you like it RAW!!

Oh, BTW the convo we had about Belial not being able to counter charge was incorect, as I re-read the other day, but I'll talk to you about that on Monday
Dan
Posted: Apr 16 2009, 02:29 PM

Grotz

Hmmm. Well, I'm now thinking about Mr Vulkan He'stan and what he brings to the field.

As much as I like Shrike, I've been thinking about He'stan lists all day, and I think I have a rather tasty one.

As I build all my lists to face all comers, I'm trying to work out whether its viable versus multiple opponents.

*Alt tabs back to Army Builder*
Les
Posted: Apr 17 2009, 07:52 AM

Bearer of the Word

Dude, you're more magpie than me!!!

Vulkan lists are fun, especially if you play to the flamer/melta benefits.

Sterguard with combi-flamers or meltas are really effective, as you get the benefits with the single use weapons.

Throw in some MM/HF speeder squadrons and some dreads (in pods) and you'll get an interesting mix that should be able to tackle all comers.

Remember though, that flamer & melta weapons tend to be sor ranged, so be prepared to get stuck in the fighting, especally against horde armies like orks & nids.
Dan
Posted: Apr 17 2009, 09:13 AM

Grotz

I'm also loving the idea of Heavy Flamers in Sternguard squads.

I'm thinking of rolling with two five man Sternguard squads, each with four Combi-Meltas and one with a Heavy Flamer in a Drop Pod.

BURN!!!
Harry
Posted: Apr 17 2009, 04:38 PM

Orkistrator of WAAARGHS

Member No.: 27

Have you thought of use attack bikes with multimeltas? Although I am not sure if the his ability affects them or not.

Are you going to be deploying as combat squads or as full squads?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | 40k Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5389 seconds | Archive