Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Cyber Nations Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

THIS FORUM IS NOW A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE.
PLEASE GO TO http://forums.cybernations.net FOR THE CURRENT CYBER NATIONS FORUM.

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

:. PC verse MAC, let's settle it!

Which do you think is better?
PC [ 80 ]  [80.81%]
MAC [ 19 ]  [19.19%]
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
Evilaussie
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 06:55 AM

Yes, that's right, i'm Aussie!
Group Icon

Group: NPO
Member No.: 29,463

Which one out of the two do you prefer? As usual, i'll have to go with Windows. Why? Have a read here. But for those of you who want a tl;dr version, i'll cut it down for you;

Ease-of-use;

The PC has made huge progress from a crummy, substandard design that only a nerd could love to a decent user interface. In contrast, the Mac has made very little progress from a decent and restrained user interface to a decent and flashy user interface.

PC: 7/10 Apple: 7/10

Software

PCs certainly have more software than the Mac but what's important is whether the particular titles you want are available - and the Mac has most application areas well covered.

However, games are a different matter. The Mac has a number of titles but it's nowhere near as well catered for as the PC. More niche areas, such as voice recognition, are limited on the Mac. The voice-recognition package Dragon NaturallySpeaking, for example, is available only on the PC.

PC: 9/10 Apple: 7/10

Performance

The question of which platform is the fastest has always been contentious. Last year, for example, Adobe claimed PCs were faster than Macs by running After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop operations on both a single-processor Dell 2.53GHz Pentium 4 and a 1.25GHz dual-processor Power Mac G4. Apple, however, argued that the problem was with those particular applications and that some tasks could perform faster on a Mac with different software.

PC: 9/10 Apple: 8/10

Stability

Both XP and OS X crash less than previous versions but it's the latter that has the better reputation because it is based on the stable UNIX operating system

Macs are also more secure than PCs because most viruses are created for PCs. "Whereas there are tens of thousands of viruses for the PC platform, there are only hundreds of viruses for the Mac," says Paul Ducklin, head of technology at the anti-virus firm Sophos. However, Ducklin says virus writers may target Macs more as they increase in popularity, and that macro viruses, which work through Microsoft Office, work on both platforms.

PC: 6/10 Apple: 9/10

Style and design

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but there's no doubt more attention was put into the iMac's design than into any desktop PC.

PC: 4/10 Apple: 9/10

Cost

Macs have a reputation for being expensive but this isn't necessarily so. For operating systems alone they're actually cheaper - OS X 10.2 costs $229 while Windows XP Home is $463. Comparing the cost of full desktop systems is harder, but if you're buying a brand-name PC you probably won't pay less. For example, the new 15-inch iMac (which was just announced at the time of writing) is $2299 while an Acer T300 with a 15-in LCD monitor and similar specs (that is, 256MB RAM and an 80GB hard-drive) is $2420.

But after all that, i have to say the winner is ...

You'll have to read the article to find out...

haha, not really,

The Mac - but not by much. We've given it a score of 48 out of 60, while the PC received 45.

--------------------
Leader of the Australian Cybernations forum club. Contact me for free beer and pies!
TheDave
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 07:05 AM

Aqua <3

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,875

PC's for me.

I like Maddox's view on the PC v MAC situation

--------------------
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
Ruskin

Land of Dave
LUBE yourself up
Aqua section for Trade, Donation and Tech Deals.
Zharanda
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 07:22 AM

Private First Class

Member No.: 38,381

I'll vote in this only when I see representatives of both companies wrestle in jelly.

--------------------
Zharanda! Zharanda! It's party time, Excellent!
Bojje
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 07:31 AM

R.O.C.K. on!
Group Icon

Group: GOLD
Member No.: 32,551

Lol 100% for pc (yes i know only 5 have voted) :J

--------------------
Join R.O.C.K. today at: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Rockalliance/index.php?act=idx

Help us R.O.C.K. harder!
sande
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 07:36 AM

Private First Class

Member No.: 32,201

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder indeed.

Taking too many points out of PC.

This can't be judged and PC will win.

I am happy with any design.
Doitzel
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 08:01 AM

Doitzel, Count Doitzel
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,261

We already knew the PC was more popular, there's no need to make a "poll" to confirm it.

--------------------
"The 'democracy gap' in our politics and elections spells a deep sense of powerlessness by people who drop out, do not vote, or listlessly vote for the 'least worst' every four years and then wonder why after every cycle the “least worst” gets worse."
-Ralph Nader

Say something I don't like and so help me mommy I will report you on twisted interpretations of the rules.

I single-handedly defeated Chris_Kaos AND Kaiser Martens in CyberNations. WITH MY BEAR HANDS.
Regent of Omerta
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 08:49 AM

Oracle to TAPS

Member No.: 22,395

PC, just don't like the apple platform stuff.

--------------------
Member ofb "The Alliance of Paladin Soldiers"

Forum Link:bbTAPS

We are a fairly new allaince and are seeking members who want a place to call home. Where you can relax and have fun and feel like you belong to something that is just downright awesome and full of win. PM me if you want to know more about us.
pigpower100
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 08:59 AM

1st Lieutenant

Member No.: 3,776

To give "Style and design" the same weight as "Performance" is silly. As is giving apple points for people not caring enough to create viruses for it.

This post has been edited by pigpower100 on Sep 2 2007, 09:00 AM

--------------------
oi oi oi
oink oink?
oi oi oi
Doitzel
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 09:10 AM

Doitzel, Count Doitzel
Group Icon

QUOTE (pigpower100 @ Sep 2 2007, 03:59 PM)
To give "Style and design" the same weight as "Performance" is silly. As is giving apple points for people not caring enough to create viruses for it.

So is the fact that the OP is basing its performance rating based on 4-year-old processors (actually, much older in the case of the G4), but you're not saying much on that, are you?

--------------------
"The 'democracy gap' in our politics and elections spells a deep sense of powerlessness by people who drop out, do not vote, or listlessly vote for the 'least worst' every four years and then wonder why after every cycle the “least worst” gets worse."
-Ralph Nader

Say something I don't like and so help me mommy I will report you on twisted interpretations of the rules.

I single-handedly defeated Chris_Kaos AND Kaiser Martens in CyberNations. WITH MY BEAR HANDS.
Tyson Gayle
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 09:28 AM

Proud NPO member

Member No.: 38,153

I was forced to use a Mac for my college course, and needless to say; i quit the course after a month.

Mac's are so horrible to use but everyone has their own tastes i suppose.

--------------------
“Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep... wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you.... The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'”
Rubedo
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 10:12 AM

TWD Vice President

Member No.: 10,055

Well I guess I cheated.

I have an HP Pavillion Running MAC OSX

--------------------
user posted image

TWD Vice President

Like to be apart of a great alliance?
Join us at The White Delegation!
lamuella
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 11:20 AM

Major General
Group Icon

Group: GOONS
Member No.: 9,984

it depends what you are using it for.

The PC is a batter games system than the mac. There are more applications for the PC. However, the mac is more stable and is much better for graphic design.

However, i have to give it to the PC, because the "I'm a mac and I'm a PC" commercials make me want to cut out both my eyes and use them to choke Steve Jobs to death.

--------------------
QUOTE (Slayer of Cliffracers @ Apr 26 2007, 11:56 AM)
contrary to mythology, knowledge is not actually power.

QUOTE (Slayer of Cliffracers @ May 27 2007, 01:05 PM)
I would love it if my kind of "ignorant bigots" had enough influence to drive any homosexual to suicide.
mastab
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 11:26 AM

Premier of the Euphorian Commonwealth

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Evilaussie @ Sep 2 2007, 06:55 AM)
Which one out of the two do you prefer? As usual, i'll have to go with Windows. Why? Have a read here. But for those of you who want a tl;dr version, i'll cut it down for you;

Ease-of-use;

The PC has made huge progress from a crummy, substandard design that only a nerd could love to a decent user interface. In contrast, the Mac has made very little progress from a decent and restrained user interface to a decent and flashy user interface.

PC: 7/10 Apple: 7/10

Software

PCs certainly have more software than the Mac but what's important is whether the particular titles you want are available - and the Mac has most application areas well covered.

However, games are a different matter. The Mac has a number of titles but it's nowhere near as well catered for as the PC. More niche areas, such as voice recognition, are limited on the Mac. The voice-recognition package Dragon NaturallySpeaking, for example, is available only on the PC.

PC: 9/10 Apple: 7/10

Performance

The question of which platform is the fastest has always been contentious. Last year, for example, Adobe claimed PCs were faster than Macs by running After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop operations on both a single-processor Dell 2.53GHz Pentium 4 and a 1.25GHz dual-processor Power Mac G4. Apple, however, argued that the problem was with those particular applications and that some tasks could perform faster on a Mac with different software.

Stability

Both XP and OS X crash less than previous versions but it's the latter that has the better reputation because it is based on the stable UNIX operating system

Macs are also more secure than PCs because most viruses are created for PCs. "Whereas there are tens of thousands of viruses for the PC platform, there are only hundreds of viruses for the Mac," says Paul Ducklin, head of technology at the anti-virus firm Sophos. However, Ducklin says virus writers may target Macs more as they increase in popularity, and that macro viruses, which work through Microsoft Office, work on both platforms.

PC: 6/10 Apple: 9/10

Style and design

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but there's no doubt more attention was put into the iMac's design than into any desktop PC.

PC: 4/10 Apple: 9/10

Cost

Macs have a reputation for being expensive but this isn't necessarily so. For operating systems alone they're actually cheaper - OS X 10.2 costs $229 while Windows XP Home is $463. Comparing the cost of full desktop systems is harder, but if you're buying a brand-name PC you probably won't pay less. For example, the new 15-inch iMac (which was just announced at the time of writing) is $2299 while an Acer T300 with a 15-in LCD monitor and similar specs (that is, 256MB RAM and an 80GB hard-drive) is $2420.

But after all that, i have to say the winner is ...

You'll have to read the article to find out...

haha, not really,

The Mac - but not by much. We've given it a score of 48 out of 60, while the PC received 45.

Wow... I've actually read that article and used in debates in the past. Weird. But PCs are better. The only reason Macs won in that article was because they looked pretty which is a stupid reason to buy or favor a computer. Not only is it an opinion that varies completely from person to person, you should buy your computer to use it, not look at it and marvel at how smooth, curvey, white, and futuristic looking it is.

--------------------
You can take my signature, but you can never take my FREEEEEDOM!!!!!
QUOTE (Mastab @ Aug 30 2007, 10:17 PM)
Esau, come down... we've got candy and you've got to be wondering why there's blood, machines, and a monster down here.

QUOTE (Esau of Isaac @ Aug 30 2007, 10:28 PM)
Oh, but do you have balloons? And do you float down there?
Genre
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 12:20 PM

A logic of global terror.

Member No.: 9,082

Take style and design out and PC wins. Style doesn't matter, while the rest of the stuff does.

Even if it did and Macs were rated better, I would still go PC. The fact that macs cant play many games is a deal breaker for me.

--------------------
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/Genre1/firsthalf-waygoodsig.png[/IMG]
Remember, remember the Fifth of November....
╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

The Andel Provinces
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 12:32 PM

MCXA, bear my child!
Group Icon

Group: MCXA
Member No.: 4,268

I've got both, but 90 percent of what I do is on my Macbook. Besides lack of games and cost, nobody's been able to articulate real reasons why PCs are superior. I've had crippling issues with XP, and especially SP2 in terms of compatibility. Even now, why buy a PC with Vista? Vista emulates huge portions of OSX, so they're essentially the same in a core sense.

--------------------
Give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth-Archimedes

The Andel Provinces

GWIII Veteran

CXA-Illumanti-VE d. /b/

Nations anarchied: Several.
Times anarchied: Zero.
Genre
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 12:41 PM

A logic of global terror.

Member No.: 9,082

QUOTE (The Andel Provinces @ Sep 2 2007, 12:32 PM)
I've got both, but 90 percent of what I do is on my Macbook. Besides lack of games and cost, nobody's been able to articulate real reasons why PCs are superior. I've had crippling issues with XP, and especially SP2 in terms of compatibility. Even now, why buy a PC with Vista? Vista emulates huge portions of OSX, so they're essentially the same in a core sense.

Those are the only reasons I need.

--------------------
[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/Genre1/firsthalf-waygoodsig.png[/IMG]
Remember, remember the Fifth of November....
╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

Doitzel
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 12:44 PM

Doitzel, Count Doitzel
Group Icon

QUOTE (mastab @ Sep 2 2007, 06:26 PM)
Wow... I've actually read that article and used in debates in the past. Weird. But PCs are better. The only reason Macs won in that article was because they looked pretty which is a stupid reason to buy or favor a computer. Not only is it an opinion that varies completely from person to person, you should buy your computer to use it, not look at it and marvel at how smooth, curvey, white, and futuristic looking it is.

There's a lot more to design than that. How many PCs do you just plug in the mouse and keyboard and it works? How many PCs can you think of that take up less than twice the amount of space as an iMac? How many equivalent PC notebooks have even half the battery life of the MacBooks?

It's more than just being pretty.

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

Esau of Isaac
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 12:55 PM

Breviloquent Spectacle

Member No.: 5,252

QUOTE (Doitzel @ Sep 2 2007, 10:44 AM)
There's a lot more to design than that. How many PCs do you just plug in the mouse and keyboard and it works? How many PCs can you think of that take up less than twice the amount of space as an iMac? How many equivalent PC notebooks have even half the battery life of the MacBooks?

Silly Doitzel, always acting as though he's not part of the Consciousness.

"You like PCs, Doitzel. You like them a lot. You love them. You cannot live without them."

*googly fingers here*

This post has been edited by Esau of Isaac on Sep 2 2007, 12:55 PM

--------------------
The Dragon Reborn of GATO

Esau of Isaac vs. Deep Blue! A battle for the ages! Who'll win?

To know, is to know you know nothing; That is the meaning of true knowledge.

By three methods may we learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; And third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Want a good alliance? Try GATO, you'll be among the best.

Nintenderek
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 01:02 PM

GOLD SC member
Group Icon

Group: GOLD
Member No.: 7,390

PCs and btw, this topic reminded me of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCJHyFhB48

PCs are generally better and there's much more you can do with them. Macs are just macs. PCs are just generally better, plus they own much more of the market. But that's just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Go to My website for all your Nintenderek needs.

user posted image
Themea
Posted on Sep 2 2007, 01:06 PM

God of Arbitrary Numbers

Member No.: 23,942

QUOTE (Doitzel @ Sep 2 2007, 12:44 PM)

Any PC with XP or Vista. Hell, even some updated 98 PC's can read plug and play keyboards and mouses. I saw a computer at Best Buy that was far superior to the one I have now, and the entire computer was smaller than my current monitor. I built a laptop with twice the battery of a MacBook, unfortunately, I needed an external hard drive.

BTW, my comp is only a year old

--------------------
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " - Sima Yi

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

How to make a poll
Una Salus Victus
Sedusii
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1429 seconds | Archive