Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Cyber Nations Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

THIS FORUM IS NOW A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE.
PLEASE GO TO http://forums.cybernations.net FOR THE CURRENT CYBER NATIONS FORUM.

:. I don't like doing this..., but it's kind of neccessary
Jesse, Bad Boy
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 08:43 AM

First Sergeant

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,933

In the Warn and Ban Appeals forum, a poster by the name of "Bumpy" posted appeal thread. However, he did not follow the rules required for appeal, and even appealed two warnings. Irrespective of this, a moderator granted his appeals, and locked the topic. Now, in my, and most others dealings, if you don't follow the guidelines spelled out at the top of the forum, you get told "No" and the thread is locked without a second thought.

This contradiction in policy does not in any way help the mods work or goal to make everything equal and fair. By showing special considerations and favors to players (for whatever the reason) discriminates against both those who have appealed correctly in effort to follow the rules, as well as those who did not appeal correctly and were denied.

I am not looking to get either the poster or the mod in trouble, but I would like the moderation team to try and address this so to keep the application of board rules uniform.

The appeal in question: http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/...showtopic=82253

Thanks for reading, and hopefully some adjustment can be made so to make sure that the rules are universally adhered to, by both moderation and regular poster alike.

--------------------
Find me here.

Cause you’re going home
You’re running free
As only you would be if you never owed them anything
And now you’ve found your way out
In the trust you’ve seen your path on home
Woody12
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 09:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

Member No.: 24,972

Is this really that big of a deal? Mods are human just like us. They make mistakes. <sadno>
Jesse, Bad Boy
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 09:52 AM

First Sergeant

QUOTE (Woody12 @ Aug 31 2007, 09:40 AM)
Is this really that big of a deal? Mods are human just like us. They make mistakes. <sadno>

Oh please. That's not just a mistake. When you can clearly see everyone else following the rules and guidelines being rewarded, and then you can see everyone else who doesn't not being rewarded, which is especially easy with regards to our forums very own Warn and Ban Appeals (go ahead and review the first several pages. There is no way this can be chalked up to a mistake), and then you see this blatant violation, you can't help but feel that the rules are being applied unfairly.

--------------------
Find me here.

Cause you’re going home
You’re running free
Vivi
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 10:51 AM

Magic Modkip
Group Icon

Group: Admin Team
Member No.: 28,822

He was stating why he had been warned. He only appealed one warning.

--------------------
Jesse, Bad Boy
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 10:57 AM

First Sergeant

QUOTE (Vivi @ Aug 31 2007, 10:51 AM)
He was stating why he had been warned.  He only appealed one warning.

Please, ma'am/sir, re-read the thread:

The first was a well deserved warning for flame, and the second for an ignorant grave dig.
[emphasis mine]

He was clearly appealing two warns. Couple this with the fact that he did not use the format specified in the required reading thread, which is usually enough to be denied or have your thread locked, and we can clearly see this is a case of unfairly applying (or not applying) the rules.

This post has been edited by Jesse, Bad Boy on Aug 31 2007, 10:57 AM

--------------------
Find me here.

Cause you’re going home
You’re running free
Arcades057
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 03:48 PM

Bom chikka wow wow

Member No.: 22,905

The point Vivi made is that, regardless of how many warns he/she appealed, only one was granted. I just appealed two myself and was given 1 warn reduction.

--------------------
Nations Anarchied: 51 Nations Helped to ZI: 6 Babies Eaten: Plenty!!
By the way, I'm in GOONS now.
x Tela x
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 10:06 PM

The Shadowhood's Powerless Queen

Member No.: 29,717

There are multiple cases of improperly posted appeals going through without a hitch. I believe the "tone" you use matters a bit more than the actual format, though as someone else said, mods are human, and might make a slip up here and there.

#  You may only appeal one warning at a time.
# To ensure that your thread is handled in a timely fashion, please report your nation information and/or all suspected involved players users using the following format.

* Nation:
* Ruler:
* Nation Link:

You must file all reports in this fashion. Failure to do so may result in your thread being ignored; multiple instances of posting out of format will result in a warn.

Again:
Failure to do so may result in your thread being ignored..

It's a guideline, not a law of nature. Cut 'em some slack lol, mods are people too :D

--------------------
QUOTE (El Bruc @ Jul 27 2007, 02:19 AM)
Used properly, Electron Sponge is a contraceptive.
Bumpy
Posted: Sep 1 2007, 07:55 PM

Knight X

Member No.: 35

Excuse the hell out of me. <doh>

One reduction was granted.

Perhaps I failed to follow a formula; the initial error was therefor mine.

Some of you people slay me; if a mod is to rigid you complain, too lenient? you complain. Too friendly? complaints. To aloof? Complaints.

These people volunteer for a thankless job and get endless grief from Monday morning quarterbacks. Give it a rest.

How about tending your own garden?

--------------------
user posted image

Chairman of the Bumpkin Council; Atrumian Regent of Bumpivania

QUOTE ((RudeBoy @ Mar 26 2007 @ 02:23 AM))
My goodness. A lot of people here really don't understand how important the wording in these kinds of documents is. You can't just call something a Mutual Defense Pact or a Non-Aggression Pact and think that none of the words in the document matter.
Jesse, Bad Boy
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 08:35 PM

First Sergeant

QUOTE (Bumpy @ Sep 1 2007, 07:55 PM)
Excuse the hell out of me. <doh>

One reduction was granted.

Perhaps I failed to follow a formula; the initial error was therefor mine.

Some of you people slay me; if a mod is to rigid you complain, too lenient? you complain. Too friendly? complaints. To aloof? Complaints.

These people volunteer for a thankless job and get endless grief from Monday morning quarterbacks. Give it a rest.

How about tending your own garden?

I wasn't commenting on your lack of form, I was commenting on the lack of consistency. And considering that this is PART of their JOB as a moderator (the excuse that they are doing a thankless job is irrelevant. I am never thanked at my job, but that doesn't mean I have the room for error), one would think they would do well enough to adhere to their job.

--------------------
Find me here.

Cause you’re going home
You’re running free
Pingu
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 08:39 PM

wut?
Group Icon

Group: ODN
Member No.: 318

If you whine this much at your job, no wonder you don't get thanked. And you probably get paid for it, too, which the mods do not. Lay off.

--------------------
ODN Bar Manager and Penguin-in-Chief

angry.gif Do not ascend via the unjust path angry.gif
Thoreau
Posted: Sep 3 2007, 06:35 AM

Senior Game Moderator

Group: Retired Moderator
Member No.: 19,254

Being that you already had one unsolicited warning level reduction within the past few days I think you have just about no leg to stand on. I'm going to lock this thread. Only post another one on this topic when you have something to actually complain about.

Oh, and thanks for doing your job, whatever that may be.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3891 seconds | Archive