zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Cyber Nations Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

THIS FORUM IS NOW A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE.
PLEASE GO TO http://forums.cybernations.net FOR THE CURRENT CYBER NATIONS FORUM.

:. Forum Pageload Tips, Part Deux, More Stuff for an Administrator
orioni
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 07:38 PM

Seek nothing and you will find everything

Group: Members
Member No.: 306

I ran another audit with the Pingdom Tools (test it here), and on average the mainpage needs 0.5 0.7 seconds to load, weighing about 121.8 KB. That's not bad, but it can always be improved.

What can be done?
As the test shows, there are certain images not being loaded from the website rocky.ifsz.net/rocky/Gradients. Those image requests aren't generating any results, but the browsers is still wasting time on them every single time a page is loaded. Since the images are being linked to from inside the CSS, the best thing to do would be removing those unused gradients from the stylesheet.

Furthermore, I've taken the liberty to run the CSS through a free online 'compacter' which is available at CleanCSS dot com. Here is what I got as a result after 'compacting' the stylesheet: "Input: 7.076KB, Output: 5.915KB, Compression Ratio: 16.4% (-1161 Bytes)". By simple changing the way some properties are written, the size was reduced by over 15%. And as a bonus, all properties were sorted alphabetically, to make life easier for any admin who would want to make changes in the future.

Besides tweaking the CSS, I would also highly recommend converting the forum logo from JPG to GIF. The current JPG is 34.06 KB, while converting it to GIF would create an image of only 50% the original size. An easy task in Photoshop, so I have already done that job for you: forum.gif, now at 16.62 KB.

Last but not least, hosting the resized forum logo at the forum itself would be the best solution to make the image more responsive; and it would also save some bandwidth. *winks at Admin*

How do I do that?
Hosting the header here on this forum is easy: save the GIF to your computer and upload it again. An administrator need only go the what I assume is some hidden mod forum and attach the GIF to a new post, preferably titled "IMG: Logo", so you can still later. Next, the URL of that attached image would be copied and used to replace the current logo. Go to Admin CP >> Skinning & Styles >> Images. The first box says "Logo", this is where you need to be. Paste the URL of the GIF as a replacement for the current JPG. Mark the selector, scroll down and click "Submit" to finish.

To improve the CSS, simply go to the Admin CP >> Skinning & Styles >> Manage Style Sheets. Cut and paste everything you see on that box into WordPad or some other small application. (Always have a backup!) Next, copy/paste the following code into the now empty textbox. Scroll down and hit "Edit CSS" to finish.

Once you've done all of this, you can go ahead and test if the forum loads a millisecond faster. You can also run another test at Pingdom and compare the results to my screenshot of above.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Orioni

CODE
html{overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:auto}

form{display:inline}
img{border:0;vertical-align:middle}
BODY{background-color:#fff;color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:11px;margin:0 10px}
TABLE,TR,TD{color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:10px}
a:link,a:visited,a:active{color:#000;text-decoration:underline}
a:hover{color:#125381;text-decoration:none}

fieldset.search{line-height:150%;padding:6px}
label{cursor:pointer}

img.attach{border:2px outset #EEF2F7;padding:2px}

.googleroot{line-height:130%;padding:6px}
.googlechild{line-height:130%;margin-left:30px;padding:6px}
.googleparent{color:#24164;line-height:130%;margin-left:30px;padding:6px}
.googlebottom,.googlebottom a:link,.googlebottom a:visited,.googlebottom a:active{color:#3A4F6C;font-size:11px}
.googlish,.googlish a:link,.googlish a:visited,.googlish a:active{color:#00D;font-size:14px;font-weight:700}
.googlepagelinks{font-size:1.1em;letter-spacing:1px}
.googlesmall,.googlesmall a:link,.googlesmall a:active,.googlesmall a:visited{color:#434951;font-size:10px}

li.helprow{margin:0 0 10px;padding:0}
ul#help{padding:0 0 0 15px}

option.cat{font-weight:700}
option.sub{color:#555;font-weight:700}
.caldate{color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;margin:0;padding:4px;text-align:right}

.warngood{color:green}
.warnbad{color:red}

#padandcenter{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;padding:14px 0;text-align:center}

#profilename{font-size:28px;font-weight:700}
#calendarname{font-size:22px;font-weight:700}

#photowrap{padding:6px}
#phototitle{border-bottom:1px solid #000;font-size:24px}
#photoimg{margin-top:15px;text-align:center}

#ucpmenu{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:150%;width:22%}
#ucpmenu p{margin:0;padding:2px 5px 6px 9px}
#ucpcontent{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:150%;width:auto}
#ucpcontent p{margin:0;padding:10px}

#ipsbanner{position:absolute;right:5%;top:1px}
#logostrip{background-color:#fff;border:1px solid #fff;margin:0;padding:0}
#submenu{border:1px solid #fff;color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;margin:3px 0}
#submenu a:link,#submenu a:visited,#submenu a:active{color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;text-decoration:none}
#submenu A:hover{border-bottom:#125381 1px boxed;color:#125381}
#userlinks{border:1px solid #E4E4E4}

#navstrip{font-weight:700;padding:6px 0}

.activeuserstrip{padding:6px}

.pformstrip{color:#125381;font-weight:700;margin-top:1px;padding:7px}
.pformleft{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-right:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px;width:25%}
.pformleftw{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-right:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px;width:40%}
.pformright{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px}

.post1,.post2{background-color:#fff}
.postlinksbar{background-color:#D1DCEB;font-size:10px;margin-top:1px;padding:7px}

.row1,.row2,.row3,.row4{background-color:#F7F7F7}

.darkrow1{background-color:#F7F7F7;color:#F7F7F7}
.darkrow2,.darkrow3{color:#3A4F6C}

.hlight{background-color:#DFE6EF}
.dlight{background-color:#EEF2F7}

.titlemedium{color:#125381;font-weight:700;margin:0;padding:7px}
.titlemedium a:link,.titlemedium a:visited,.titlemedium a:active{color:#125381;text-decoration:underline}

.maintitle{background-color:navy;color:#FFF;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:1px;padding:8px 0 8px 5px;vertical-align:middle}
.maintitle a:link,.maintitle a:visited,.maintitle a:active{color:#FFF;text-decoration:none}
.maintitle a:hover{text-decoration:underline}

.plainborder{background-color:#E4E4E4;border:1px solid #E4E4E4}
.tableborder{background-color:#E4E4E4;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin:0;padding:0;width:100%}
.tablefill{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;padding:6px}
.tablepad{background-color:#F7F7F7;padding:6px}
.tablebasic{border:0;margin:0;padding:0;width:100%}

.wrapmini{float:left;line-height:1.5em;width:25%}
.pagelinks{float:left;line-height:1.2em;width:35%}

.desc{color:#A6A5A5;font-size:10px}
.edit{font-size:9px}

.signature{color:#339;font-size:10px}
.postdetails{font-size:10px}
.postcolor{font-size:12px;line-height:160%}

.normalname{color:#003;font-size:12px;font-weight:700}
.normalname a:link,.normalname a:visited,.normalname a:active{font-size:12px}
.unreg{color:#900;font-size:11px;font-weight:700}

.searchlite{background-color:#FF0;color:red;font-weight:700}

#QUOTE{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Arial;font-size:11px;padding:2px}
#CODE{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;color:#000;font-family:Courier, Courier New, Verdana, Arial;font-size:11px;padding:2px}

.copyright{font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size:9px;line-height:12px}

.codebuttons{font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;vertical-align:middle}
.forminput,.textinput,.radiobutton,.checkbox{font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;vertical-align:middle}

.thin{border-bottom:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:140%;margin:2px 0;padding:6px 0}

.purple{color:purple;font-weight:700}
.red{color:red;font-weight:700}
.green{color:green;font-weight:700}
.blue{color:blue;font-weight:700}
.orange{color:#F90;font-weight:700}

Edit for early morning spelling.

This post has been edited by orioni on Aug 26 2007, 08:12 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (admin @ Aug 27 2007, 04:26 AM)
‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome?

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮҉ Behold The Mysterious Symbol!
admin
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:26 PM

CN Admin / Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome? I'll look into making the recommended changes.
orioni
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:30 PM

Thanks, nice quote to put in my sig. ^_^

--------------------

Lord Caedus
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:30 PM

Sergeant

Member No.: 35,545

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 26 2007, 08:26 PM)
Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome? I'll look into making the recommended changes.

Your so awesome.
orioni
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 07:05 PM

Friendly reminder.

--------------------

Thund3rbird
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 07:10 PM

Minister of Recruiting for GOOR

Member No.: 30,485

QUOTE (orioni @ Aug 27 2007, 07:05 PM)
Friendly reminder.

Awsome Job!!!! Amazing!

You're A True Cyber Nations Patriot

put that^^^^ in your sig :ehm:

--------------------
MY TRADE CIRCLE
Need a Middleman? PM me My Nation
I, personally, believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps. And, uh, I believe that our education like, such as, in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And, I believe that they should... our education over here, in the U.S., should help the U.S., or, or, should help South Africa. It should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future... for our children
Moderation
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 09:42 PM

Captain

Group: Retired Moderator
Member No.: 34

Thank you.

I am implementing some of your changes now.

Although, on my computer it only takes the pages here .04 seconds to load. ;)

EDIT: With your changes it is not just under .03 seconds for my pages to load here. If everyone gets a 25% boost then it is well worth it. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Moderation on Aug 27 2007, 09:46 PM

--------------------
Everything in Moderation
orioni
Posted: Aug 28 2007, 05:19 PM

@ Moderation:
The image in the header is still hosted by ImageShack now. ImageShack is slow, you should save the image to your computer, and upload it to the forum by attaching the file to a post, usually in the hidden admin section.

On the boards I manage, all images are attached to the forum itself. This ensure faster loading, paid for by IF ;) and makes sure you never lose any of the images.

This post has been edited by orioni on Aug 28 2007, 05:21 PM

--------------------

orioni
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 01:55 PM

Bringing up my post, because.

--------------------

Haflinger
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 02:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

Member No.: 37,274

I recompressed the GIF as a PNG, and got a whopping 50-byte improvement.

Still, PNGs as a patent-free file format are better. So if admin wants mine, I'll upload it somewhere.

--------------------
QUOTE (Aeternos Astramora @ Aug 15 2007, 02:22 AM)
It's CN.  People need polls to tell them what to name their alliance.

QUOTE (Thoreau @ Aug 26 2007, 01:54 PM)
This post used to have a copy of the NPO War Guide. Now it has a two sentences from a moderator.

Czar_Aleksander has kicked Czar_Aleksander from #cybernations (family friendly)
Republic of Umar
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 02:33 PM

The candy man can

Member No.: 34,045

your a friggin genius...thats all Greek to me lol

--------------------
[IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb294/chase_imc/solomonbanner_final.png[/IMG]

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you wish the other 8% would stop whining put this in your sig

Quote Thoreau
Stay classy, Cyber Nations.

QUOTE (V The King @ Sep 1 2007, 08:24 PM)
Whenever I see a thread like this one, I think "\m/ission accomplished".
Great Lord, Moth
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 04:04 PM

Leader of the Random Insanity Alliance

Member No.: 8,549

Brilliant! I bet the difference will be noticeable to everyone. =D

--------------------
QUOTE ("Dr. Dre")
I handle my business, 'cause it's work before play.
Don't look for trouble, but I serve you gourmet.
orioni
Posted: Sep 1 2007, 09:21 AM

Bringing up my post, because.

--------------------

LorNightmare
Posted: Sep 1 2007, 09:30 AM

First Sergeant

Member No.: 31,298

yeh

--------------------
sparta
Posted: Sep 1 2007, 09:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

Member No.: 37,752

QUOTE (orioni @ Aug 26 2007, 07:38 PM)
I ran another audit with the Pingdom Tools (test it here), and on average the mainpage needs 0.5 0.7 seconds to load, weighing about 121.8 KB. That's not bad, but it can always be improved.

What can be done?
As the test shows, there are certain images not being loaded from the website rocky.ifsz.net/rocky/Gradients. Those image requests aren't generating any results, but the browsers is still wasting time on them every single time a page is loaded. Since the images are being linked to from inside the CSS, the best thing to do would be removing those unused gradients from the stylesheet.

Furthermore, I've taken the liberty to run the CSS through a free online 'compacter' which is available at CleanCSS dot com. Here is what I got as a result after 'compacting' the stylesheet: "Input: 7.076KB, Output: 5.915KB, Compression Ratio: 16.4% (-1161 Bytes)". By simple changing the way some properties are written, the size was reduced by over 15%. And as a bonus, all properties were sorted alphabetically, to make life easier for any admin who would want to make changes in the future.

Besides tweaking the CSS, I would also highly recommend converting the forum logo from JPG to GIF. The current JPG is 34.06 KB, while converting it to GIF would create an image of only 50% the original size. An easy task in Photoshop, so I have already done that job for you: forum.gif, now at 16.62 KB.

Last but not least, hosting the resized forum logo at the forum itself would be the best solution to make the image more responsive; and it would also save some bandwidth. *winks at Admin*

How do I do that?
Hosting the header here on this forum is easy: save the GIF to your computer and upload it again. An administrator need only go the what I assume is some hidden mod forum and attach the GIF to a new post, preferably titled "IMG: Logo", so you can still later. Next, the URL of that attached image would be copied and used to replace the current logo. Go to Admin CP >> Skinning & Styles >> Images. The first box says "Logo", this is where you need to be. Paste the URL of the GIF as a replacement for the current JPG. Mark the selector, scroll down and click "Submit" to finish.

To improve the CSS, simply go to the Admin CP >> Skinning & Styles >> Manage Style Sheets. Cut and paste everything you see on that box into WordPad or some other small application. (Always have a backup!) Next, copy/paste the following code into the now empty textbox. Scroll down and hit "Edit CSS" to finish.

Once you've done all of this, you can go ahead and test if the forum loads a millisecond faster. You can also run another test at Pingdom and compare the results to my screenshot of above.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Orioni

CODE
html{overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:auto}

form{display:inline}
img{border:0;vertical-align:middle}
BODY{background-color:#fff;color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:11px;margin:0 10px}
TABLE,TR,TD{color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:10px}
a:link,a:visited,a:active{color:#000;text-decoration:underline}
a:hover{color:#125381;text-decoration:none}

fieldset.search{line-height:150%;padding:6px}
label{cursor:pointer}

img.attach{border:2px outset #EEF2F7;padding:2px}

.googleroot{line-height:130%;padding:6px}
.googlechild{line-height:130%;margin-left:30px;padding:6px}
.googleparent{color:#24164;line-height:130%;margin-left:30px;padding:6px}
.googlebottom,.googlebottom a:link,.googlebottom a:visited,.googlebottom a:active{color:#3A4F6C;font-size:11px}
.googlish,.googlish a:link,.googlish a:visited,.googlish a:active{color:#00D;font-size:14px;font-weight:700}
.googlepagelinks{font-size:1.1em;letter-spacing:1px}
.googlesmall,.googlesmall a:link,.googlesmall a:active,.googlesmall a:visited{color:#434951;font-size:10px}

li.helprow{margin:0 0 10px;padding:0}
ul#help{padding:0 0 0 15px}

option.cat{font-weight:700}
option.sub{color:#555;font-weight:700}
.caldate{color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;margin:0;padding:4px;text-align:right}

.warngood{color:green}
.warnbad{color:red}

#padandcenter{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;padding:14px 0;text-align:center}

#profilename{font-size:28px;font-weight:700}
#calendarname{font-size:22px;font-weight:700}

#photowrap{padding:6px}
#phototitle{border-bottom:1px solid #000;font-size:24px}
#photoimg{margin-top:15px;text-align:center}

#ucpmenu{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:150%;width:22%}
#ucpmenu p{margin:0;padding:2px 5px 6px 9px}
#ucpcontent{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:150%;width:auto}
#ucpcontent p{margin:0;padding:10px}

#ipsbanner{position:absolute;right:5%;top:1px}
#logostrip{background-color:#fff;border:1px solid #fff;margin:0;padding:0}
#submenu{border:1px solid #fff;color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;margin:3px 0}
#submenu a:link,#submenu a:visited,#submenu a:active{color:#125381;font-size:10px;font-weight:700;text-decoration:none}
#submenu A:hover{border-bottom:#125381 1px boxed;color:#125381}
#userlinks{border:1px solid #E4E4E4}

#navstrip{font-weight:700;padding:6px 0}

.activeuserstrip{padding:6px}

.pformstrip{color:#125381;font-weight:700;margin-top:1px;padding:7px}
.pformleft{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-right:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px;width:25%}
.pformleftw{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-right:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px;width:40%}
.pformright{background-color:#F7F7F7;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin-top:1px;padding:6px}

.post1,.post2{background-color:#fff}
.postlinksbar{background-color:#D1DCEB;font-size:10px;margin-top:1px;padding:7px}

.row1,.row2,.row3,.row4{background-color:#F7F7F7}

.darkrow1{background-color:#F7F7F7;color:#F7F7F7}
.darkrow2,.darkrow3{color:#3A4F6C}

.hlight{background-color:#DFE6EF}
.dlight{background-color:#EEF2F7}

.titlemedium{color:#125381;font-weight:700;margin:0;padding:7px}
.titlemedium a:link,.titlemedium a:visited,.titlemedium a:active{color:#125381;text-decoration:underline}

.maintitle{background-color:navy;color:#FFF;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:1px;padding:8px 0 8px 5px;vertical-align:middle}
.maintitle a:link,.maintitle a:visited,.maintitle a:active{color:#FFF;text-decoration:none}
.maintitle a:hover{text-decoration:underline}

.plainborder{background-color:#E4E4E4;border:1px solid #E4E4E4}
.tableborder{background-color:#E4E4E4;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;margin:0;padding:0;width:100%}
.tablefill{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;padding:6px}
.tablepad{background-color:#F7F7F7;padding:6px}
.tablebasic{border:0;margin:0;padding:0;width:100%}

.wrapmini{float:left;line-height:1.5em;width:25%}
.pagelinks{float:left;line-height:1.2em;width:35%}

.desc{color:#A6A5A5;font-size:10px}
.edit{font-size:9px}

.signature{color:#339;font-size:10px}
.postdetails{font-size:10px}
.postcolor{font-size:12px;line-height:160%}

.normalname{color:#003;font-size:12px;font-weight:700}
.normalname a:link,.normalname a:visited,.normalname a:active{font-size:12px}
.unreg{color:#900;font-size:11px;font-weight:700}

.searchlite{background-color:#FF0;color:red;font-weight:700}

#QUOTE{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;color:#000;font-family:Verdana, Arial;font-size:11px;padding:2px}
#CODE{background-color:#F7F7F7;border:1px solid #E4E4E4;color:#000;font-family:Courier, Courier New, Verdana, Arial;font-size:11px;padding:2px}

.copyright{font-family:Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size:9px;line-height:12px}

.codebuttons{font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;vertical-align:middle}
.forminput,.textinput,.radiobutton,.checkbox{font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;vertical-align:middle}

.thin{border-bottom:1px solid #E4E4E4;border-top:1px solid #E4E4E4;line-height:140%;margin:2px 0;padding:6px 0}

.purple{color:purple;font-weight:700}
.red{color:red;font-weight:700}
.green{color:green;font-weight:700}
.blue{color:blue;font-weight:700}
.orange{color:#F90;font-weight:700}

Edit for early morning spelling.

i don't get it?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1338 seconds | Archive