DC Vault
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Crunchers Inc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

We're still alive and looking to retake 11th at the vault------join us!!!

Quake-Catcher Project to use laptops to detect ear
cswchan
  Posted: Apr 5 2008, 04:21 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Monitoring earthquakes is tricky business. They occur very sporadically in both space and time, so to record them you need a continuously operating measurement network. Such networks are traditionally very expensive both to install, and to operate. What if there was a better way? It turns out there might be. The brainchild of University of California-Riverside professor Elizabeth Cochran, the Quake-Catcher Network wants to do for seismic monitoring what SETI@home did for the search for extra-terrestrial life.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...arthquakes.html

http://qcn.ucr.edu/index.html
vaio
Posted: Apr 5 2008, 07:41 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Only for Macs atm as far as I can tell.
pwrguru
Posted: Apr 5 2008, 10:56 PM

Big Bear

Member No.: 9

QUOTE (vaio @ Apr 5 2008, 02:41 PM)
Only for Macs atm as far as I can tell.

that project will go far then................ laugh.gif
Stephenish
Posted: Apr 6 2008, 06:59 PM

with a little help from my friends

Member No.: 28

The current Mac OS has been hacked for use on PCs.
cswchan
Posted: Aug 7 2008, 01:09 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

A device originally put into laptops to prevent damage to the hard drive if the machine is dropped has been put to a novel use by scientists.

The tiny devices that detect unexpected movement are being used to give warnings on earthquakes.

The Quakecatcher Network has been built by combining the readings of sensors in laptops known as accelerometers.

It successfully detected last month's quake in Los Angeles.
« Next Oldest | Newswire | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0941 seconds | Archive