welcome to a gotham unlike any you have seen before. here when night falls batman is not the only creature of the night to stalk the city streets. Vampires, werewolves, demons, mystically empowered vampire slayers, witches, and secret societies with their own nefarious agendas have all taken root in the home he has sworn to protect. here you will pray for sunrise because
at dawn they sleep

** WGBC BREAKING NEWS according to new analysis violent crime has been on the increase throughout the city. how safe is gotham? more at eleven...

** WGBC FIRST WEATHER winter is here, folks. expect cold temperatures, snow, and travel delays.

FEBRUARY SITE EVENT -- everyone is cordially invited to a hospital benefit gala at the gotham excelsior! will it be a quiet social event, or is someone going to crash the party?

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Atdawntheysleep. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

let's be awkward!
KATHERINE KANE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 10:24 AM

PLAYED by ANA !
Group Icon

Group: GUARDIAN of GOTHAM
Member No.: 56

Hello there, people (and whatever unidentified creature that might be reading this)! I'm usually not one for introductions, but since the board seems to be in a revamping mood, I figure breaking the habit of being the silent newbie lurking mysteriously in the shadows would be a good call.

The problem is, I never quite know what to say in these things, so forgive me if my good intentions end up failing miserably...

What I can tell you about myself straight up is that I am a quiet person per nature; not exactly shy, but more of a listener than a talker. That said, please don't be offended or don't think I'm a snob asshole who won't communicate with her lesser peers if I'm not a constant in the c-box, for example... to be honest, sometimes I forget it even exists. I forget a lot of things, now that I think about it.

Anyway. PM's, however, are a different story. I like them. I use them. I love, love, LOVE brainstorming and trading ideas with anyone willing to do the same, so if you have whatever plots in mind, throw my way. I'll hardly refuse an idea without at least talking about it and trying to find a common ground.

Batman wise, I'll admit I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about it as most of you guys seem to be, but I am, of course a fan of the universe. I love the movies, have almost all of them and I do have all of the episodes of the Birds of Prey short-lived show (the theme of that show, by Aimee Allen -- the original one, not the one they put when they released it to dvd) played on repeat on my music players for years and years a while back there. And I have to say, I hear Barbara Gordon and Dina Meyer comes to mind... Huntress? Ashley Scott, just like Rachel Skarsten is my first co-relation when Dinah Lance pops up. It was odd seeing other faces for these characters here on the board, but refreshing too... I'm getting used to it.

Overall, I'm a fan of any movie/tv show based on graphic novels. My favourite of all time is Witchblade (and that is a short-lived show I definitely, definitely recommend) and if there was any character I'd like to see here would be Sara Pezzini, (the mythos of that universe is quite awesome, in my humble opinion) even though I'm not sure if she'd fit... As for other shows, I'd have to admit I am a sucker for bad shows or shows that get prematurely cancelled (if you didn't notice yet), such as Legend of the Seeker, for example... I've never read the books, but I have a feeling they murdered the story with that show. Merlin is a show I am quite fond of too, even though every episode seems to be a repetition of the previous and the story is on a constant loop since the first season, with some 'drastic' changes put here and there to make it look like a fresh plot or as a real progression of things. But I'd say that 2Broke Girls is my current sweetheart, it's comedy gold. Along with Nikita and Game of Thrones (both the show and the books are AWESOME!). Music wise, I'm a fan of soundtracks... I have the soundtracks of my favourite movies, and shows and don't be surprised if I stick a mini player with a soundtrack in a thread template instead of lyrics.

Last, but not least... I am a gamer. Hardcore lover of all things game. Not a big fan of fps, but rpg's, platform and good and old hack and slash are fair game. The Batman games are freaking amazing and B:AC is basically what I'm re-playing right now. Skyrim (bugged as it is) is right there too in my top ten list, along with Deus Ex Human Revolution, Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed (the series as a whole, in spite of all its problems). Games I'm looking forward to: Tomb Raider and Hitman Contracts.

And I realize I'm ending this abruptly, but that's it! Don't know what else to say, except that I'm glad to be here.

JOHN CONSTANTINE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 10:46 AM

PLAYED by SEPH !
Group Icon

Group: NEUTRAL of GOTHAM
Member No.: 54

Hi! Welcome to the board! Says the person who's been here for all of one more day than you xD. Ish. I think. The days blend together when you don't sleep.

I know I spammed you via PM before you were even approved (because oh my gosh, pretty sigs!), but I felt compelled to reply to this anyway smile.gif.

Hi! From Seph. <3.

I'm in the same field as you, since I don't really know what to say in reply to one of these (or in starting it), so this might be a bit of an awkward post, but here we go anyway xD.

I have to admit, I'm about the biggest Batgeek you'll ever find. Grew up on the animated series. Watched it every morning before school and then when I got back home and then I started reading the comics as soon as I could (which oddly enough was after I'd started Neil Gaiman's Sandman, which I started much younger than I should have, but that's a long story that involves nightmares). My first Bat-experience was actually watching the Scooby Doo/Batman crossover. Batman vs. Dinosaurs. Instant classic xD.

I'm so fail with TV shows (I never seem to be able to squeeze the time in), but that said, I have caught some of 2BrokeGirls (because Kat Dennings and Raising Dad = a huge chunk of my childhood right there). And I adore, adore, adore it. But then, Kat Dennings can do no wrong xD.

Also, so jealous! I want B:AC (I adored Arkham Asylum) and Skyrim (I've heard that it gets really solipsistic, like, a couple of hours in, and I kind of want to experience that at 4 am in the morning while my friend's sitting beside me talking about really orange oranges, which for the time being is something I can only associate with Fables) and UNcharted 3. Alas, time again. But still. Totally jealous xD.

Anyhoo, again, welcome to the board <3!
KATHERINE KANE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:05 AM

PLAYED by ANA !
Group Icon

Why, hello there fellow newbie! =D I have to admit that was probably the fastest pm upon registering in a board I've ever got, lol. It was a pleasant surprise, made me feel all loved and welcomed *nods*

Dude, I envy your Batgeekiness... like, I know I'll be posting and thinking 'omgI'mgonnascrewsomethingup', which will probably cause me to go on a mad hunt for Batman material, but it's all part of the fun. And Sandman! That is made of huge win my friend. Aaaaand now I wanna watch that cross-over too lol

Ohhh another Kat D fan! I knew I had reasons to like you... =D

Mmmm, if I had to pick either B:AC or Skyrim to play... gosh, such a hard choice. Right at this moment, I think I'd go with B:AC, but simply because I'm in a mood for something more 'urban decadent'. First time I played Skyrim I was afraid of it... everything was so winter and dark and moody and serious, while Oblivion is much more sunnier and tropical even if the doors of hell are threatening to kill/enslave all forms of live, but yes... skyrim is much more intense. Really awesome and you do get to a point where you start thinking in Dragon language and screaming Fus Do Rah! at your cat and considering naming your unborn child Dovahkiin, it gives you a good sense of immersion. But then you watch a horse frozen in front of the door you're supposed to walk through and the spell kind of breaks a little... not enough to drive you off of the fun, but you do have to do some 'work-arounds' in that game.

And I'll shut up or I'll spend the day talking about it, lol!

Thank you for the welcome and welcome to you too!

JOHN CONSTANTINE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:13 AM

PLAYED by SEPH !
Group Icon

Oh, psh. I read your Batwoman app and it's fantastic. That said, hunts for Batmaterial sounds like ridiculous fun <3. I could point you in the direction of all the best stuff, if you like =).

The cross-over was so wonderful and campy and oh my gosh, I need to go find that for you. And then it occurred to me that posting a link to that might not be the best idea, considering the current climate xD. It's called Scooby Doo Meets Batman and Robin (I think).

Sandman is, like. My favourite ever. Neil Gaiman is wonderful. Gaiman and, Tolkien and T.H. White are, like, ridiculously huge influences on my writing and I fangush whenever I think of them <3. So I'm going to stop myself before I start blathering about them xDD.

I'm, like, the biggest video game RPG fan ever; Chrono Trigger is my favourite, then Final Fantasy 6, then 5, then the rest of the Final Fantasies. So Skyrim appeals to me on a huge scale as a result, but I haven't bought it because I'm sure that I'd get sucked in and it'd gobble me up and steal hundreds of hours of my life xD. While Batman's a little more linear, so I'll probably be getting that soon, especially since it has Solomon Grundy in it! I'm a little but Grundy obsessed.

I've always wanted to try Witchblade, incidentally, but I kind of veered away from it because people told me it was all, like, fanservicey. Should I try it, d'you think?
KATHERINE KANE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:51 AM

PLAYED by ANA !
Group Icon

Oh, giving me pointers would be much much appreciated! And I think I can work with the title alone, lol. Same goes with Witchblade: I haven't read much of it (although I agree it can be fanservicey, with outfits diminishing by the second), so my main source was the TV show so as far as recs go, yes, I absolutely recommend the show. But given the current trend, links for those (that I'm aware of) are history. I think there's a couple of them on a YT channel? Not sure if it still exists either though.

Anything sombre and dark and that makes you think about all things obscure are an instant hit with me. Gotta love it when you can incorporate that in your writing, so huge thumbs up on what I've seen on John too! I have a friend who can explain God and the Devil (and probably the truth about Creation) through Sandman comics lol. So yes, I'm used to blathering and that's made of win.

You'll get your Solomon fix with B:AC *nods*. One of the awesome things about that game is that every big battle is fought differently... you don't feel like you've been repeating yourself all through the game even if it is, as you well said, linear and more limited in comparison to the 300+ hours of Skyrim and its infinite quests.

JOHN CONSTANTINE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:58 AM

PLAYED by SEPH !
Group Icon

On the note of links being down, I'm actually uploading stuff that I have for some friends (I have, like, an external hard drive full of this stuff), so I can give you links via PM or whatever sometime ^^. I'll check out Witchblade; but with the poor student syndrome and the whole link issue, that might be later rather than sooner xD.

Oh, gosh, right? Despite not being a dark person at all, I can't get enough of those kind of things. And as a result, most of my writing takes the same tone... I was actually just reading something by Gaiman and I couldn't help but be reminded that we have the same literary influences.

"Is it far?" In reference to the Fae Queen's castle.
    "It is as close as the harvest moon in the evening sky, as distant as a dream on wakening; near as a rainbow, and so remote you could walk forever and never reach it.

Is it far?"

They appear at the Fae Queen's castle.

"No, Timothy. Not far."

Anyhow. I... am actually exactly the same way. So, I'm biased, but I'm of the opinion that your friend must be awesome <3. And I might spam you in PMs later with the things I've written in that vein xD. (God and the Devil and the truth about Creation and all of that stuff).

This is so not helping me resist xD. I think I'll probably have Arkham City once I'm back in England, then. And I might wind up losing my early morning hours to it. I say as if I'm going to regret it; I'm so not going to regret it xD.
KATHERINE KANE
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 09:38 PM

PLAYED by ANA !
Group Icon

That'd be quite freaking awesome! Will look forward to it. And I suffer from the same syndrome, so I understand your drama...sad, man... so sad.

I'll also look forward for those other pieces of writing! Should be fun to compare them to my friend's ideas of the whole thing lol

last, but never least... do it do it do it! you know you want to!

BARBARA GORDON
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 06:57 AM

PLAYED by BARD !
Group Icon

Group: GUARDIAN admin !
Member No.: 2

Aww, the Freshman are bonding! Sorry. Sorry. Couldn't help it. tongue.gif It is insanely late for me at the moment so I am typing what I'm thinking without a filter. Dangerous stuff, that.

First, allow me to echo your love of cancelled tv shows. Seems that whatever shows I enjoy inevitably end up on the cutting room floor, (Birds of Prey, Witchblade, and Seeker among them.) Actually, back when BOP was on the air, I spent most of my free time on BirdsofPreyOnline.com either writing fanfic or conspiring with my fellow Boppers to save the show. We can all see how that turned out...

I am a relatively enormous batgeek. I, like many, began with the animated series, although I know I watched reruns of the 60's show with my dad at some point in the early, early years of my life. Honestly, though, grand in campiness that it is...I don't think that show alone would have made me obsessed. B:TAS did. It especially gave me an obsession with Barbara Gordon. Don't know why. She's my girl crush. I'm told that everyone has one...a fictional character that they form strange but powerful connections with. Hopefully it's not just me. That would make this very awkward...

Alas, I am not very talented with video games. The last console I bought was a Sega Genesis, I think? I will admit, however, that I've considered investing in a system JUST to play those Batman games. The fact that Oracle is even minorly involved in any aspect of them makes me shake with anticipation. Grrr... Of course, the last time I actually used one of those 'new fangled' consoles, I had hellish nightmares about Resident Evil that really worked me over something good. May be why I never bought one myself, come to think of it. Something about going from Sonic the Hedgehog to much more realistic flesh eating zombies did something to my imagination...

Most of my gaming, I get in on RPGs like this one. Been doing these for a very, very long time. I began in junior high with the obligatory Mary Sue. It was in a Scarlet Pimpernel RPG. Another of my obsessions. (Not really that far off from Bats, when you think about it.) My charrie was a girl my age who was the hero's little sister, had a personality nearly identical to my own but was in every way better...but I was thirteen, so I defy you to make fun of me! Every thirteen year old does that.

Also, on a side note Seph, Neil Gaiman is flipping amazing. Fell in love with him when I first saw Neverwhere and I've voraciously devoured his stuff ever since. I came about this - close to saying something in your app about how it kind of gave me a Gaiman-esque vibe, but I didn't. Now I wish I had. tongue.gif

LOL, welcome to the board, both of you! So happy to have new blood that's so enthusiastic. You really could not have come at a better time. biggrin.gif
KATHERINE KANE
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 12:24 PM

PLAYED by ANA !
Group Icon

What can I say? Freshmen are a force to be reckoned with! We've got secret handshakes and everything already... I even invited her to my pool party this weekend and oh! you guys can all come too! There's even going to be a pony, and and and clowns (but not the scary ones) and cake! And strippers dressed superhero costumes! Then we can all be friends with secret handshakes as well.

See? I'm not really good with filters either... xD

You know, whenever I start liking a show, there's a voice in the back of my mind that says: "enjoy while it lasts, because we all know that one is going to get cancelled soon." And I may or may not have been a huge fan of BoP ff? Just because, well you know... ahem.

I've never even watched the animated series! Maybe one or another random episode here and there, which is another reason why part of me feels like an usurper or an impostor right now, lol. It's like I'm a demon using Batwoman as a vessel, so any dissimilarities or are not mere coincidences or a case of a 'bad day' *insert sinister grin here* And I think I'll end up catching some eps of the animated series at some point soon...

Speaking of which, another reason for you to give in to the temptation of spending lots and lots of hard earned money investing on a console! In the basic B:AC game, you can play catwoman and robin 'dressed' like the characters in the animated series! It's kind of cute, actually... and ohhhhhhh! I play with a headset, so I can go deaf by turning up the volume of the tv without complaints, and the voice acting in that game is really awesome (big kudos for the Joker voice acting, Mark Hamill just kills it), so having Barbara Oracle Gordon speaking directly in my ear as I glide over Gotham beating the living crap out of enemies? All I need to feel like Batman is a cowl, a multi million dollar armour and a penis. Is just priceless. For the die hard Barbara fangirl in you, I think it'd be pretty cool too.

Resident Evil was one of the first games I fell in love with, and I am a big fan of the movies. But I'll admit: those god damn zombies can be scary. There's a title coming out this year, "Last of Us", if I'm not mistaken... and I just know that'll be a survivor horror that'll scare the bees out of me, but I will get my hands on it. I like scaring myself generally, and then live with the nightmares... very healthy lifestyle.

For a long time, most (more like all) of my gaming was done in RPG boards too and sweet mother of God... remembering my first character makes me want to cover my face in shame while asking "what the hell were you thinking!?!?!" lol even if I was way past 13... which I think it's even worse, because I don't have the age excuse >.<

And thank you for the welcome!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2165 seconds | Archive
"internet blackout" skin created by dance in the dark ! of caution and atf.