Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Anime Interest Floor. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Steins; Gate
magnus_orion
Posted: Sep 14 2011, 03:37 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3

So I've begun watching Steins; Gate, and I love what I see!

Also this:
user posted image

But seriously, its really interesting, I recommend it to people, at least as far as I've seen so far.

--------------------
Don't make lemonade
Cathy
Posted: Oct 8 2011, 03:14 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

I have starting watching it and I like the show overall so far. Although I dislike the main character.

--------------------
='w'=
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 10:54 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

All right, I've finally acquired the Visual Novel (VN) of Steins;Gate, and installed all the English Beta patches (the full patch isn't done yet, but that's mostly just for editing purposes). So once I get my work out of the way for this week, I can finally start reading it. However, I'd like to pose a question to all of you who've seen the entire anime: whose route should I start out with?

Oh, right, most of you haven't played VNs before. Allow me to explain. In most Visual Novels, there are multiple storylines known as "routes" which can be played. A VN plays out much like a Choose Your Own Adventure Story where you make choices that determines your fate. In this case, making choices will determine which route I go on. For Steins;Gate, like many other VNs, has routes based around the heroines, or girls, of the story.

What this means is if I make choices that focus positively around a certain girl, then the main character/I will "get" onto that girl's route, and read it until the end. What'll happen is that I must play through each girl's route/storyline, and once I've read them all, I'll unlock the True Route, from which I'll be able to see the True Ending (which I am pretty sure the anime version used as its ending).

Now then, here's the main point: I'm going into Steins;Gate blind, by which I mean I know very little about the story and characters. Therefore, I have no inclinations towards any of the characters at this point, let alone any of the girls. According to the walkthrough I found for this game, the route I can get on are:

- Rukako
- Mayuri
- Kurisu
- Suzuha
- Moeka
- Feiris
- True (after clearing all previous six routes).

Now then, my question to you all is: whose route do you think I should try first? I know that none of you really know much about VNs in this regard, but judging from your impressions of each character from the anime version, who do you think would be the best for me to check out the first? Or if you can't decide that, simply pick your favorite girl or who you thought was the most interesting one. Thank you for reading.
Cathy
Posted: Oct 25 2011, 02:45 AM

Advanced Member

I liked Kurisu and Suzuha. Rukako was interesting too though. Oh and a lot of people like Mayuri. If it were me I'd go with the least interesting first and work my way to the most interesting but then I have no idea about visual novels.

For me most [interesting/I] was Suzuha.

But if the VN is anything like the anime the two most important female characters are Kurisu and Mayuri.

Don't know if that helps at all. XD

--------------------
='w'=
magnus_orion
Posted: Oct 25 2011, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

Main character is the best character!
But I like Kurisu best...
but idk who to start with, that's difficult.
Moeka might be a good starting place, but I'm not sure, since I don't know how the VN presents the story.

--------------------
Don't make lemonade
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Oct 25 2011, 08:45 AM

Whoops, it appears I've made a mistake. Moeka apparently isn't avaliable as a route at all, so we'll have to cross her off the list.

Hmm... everyone seems to like Kurisu, but Cathy says she's important to the plot, so I'll probably save her for last. I'll then do Mayuri second-to-last, as those most important to the plot tend to have the longest routes.

So that narrows it down to three: Suzuha, Feiris, and Rukako. Cathy's suggestion of Suzuha is making me intrigued, so I may do her's first. Anyone else got any suggestions regarding those three?
magnus_orion
Posted: Oct 25 2011, 10:03 PM

Advanced Member

Feiris, Rukako, Suzuha, Mayuri, Kurisu
probably.

In other news:
[spoiler]awesomeness[/spoiler]

--------------------
Don't make lemonade
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 08:02 PM

In the end, I've decided to go with Alex's order, mainly because from all the information I've gathered from you all, it seems like that's the order of least important-most important. Well then, might start very soon!
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 12:52 AM

So I finally gave into pressure and decided to just watch the anime version with a friend from home (I'll just play the Visual Novel afterwards, much like I did with Higurashi). And I must say, damn, this is good! I'm only on Episode 5 so far, but I'm really enjoying it! I hope to finish it before I return to break.

As for the story's mysteries, I've had various successes and failures. There's some mysteries that I think I have a good theory on, while others I'm completely lost on. Speaking of which, while it's not much, I have a big theory right now about this whole John Titor business.

[spoiler]I think that Suzuha is John Titor. I know most of my "evidence" is circumstancial and I may be jumping the gun, but they seem to be lining up. In her first scene, she seemed to be making an effort at fitting in "with the times", and said she had never seen fresh corn before. If the Titor posts are true about SERN having created a dystopia in 2036, then it's very possible that something like corn wouldn't be growing anymore.

Furthering this theory was her having never seen fireworks before, assuming an attack position when the helicopter came overhead (and assuming it was a bomb raid), and of course, her reaction to Kurisu. It is my guess that Kurisu does something in the future that might have been the trigger of the dystopia, which is why Suzuha got into a fighting stance and had a murderous glare in her eyes.

If the Titor posts are correct in how time splits with every outcome, then that could mean that Suzuha got the idea for John Titor from the original one. She then either killed him or simply prevented his time travel, and then used his name in order to create a similar persona in 2010. This would explain while all traces of him disappeared from the world up until the new Titor posts started up.

Now then, as for what her goal is is something I'm guessing ultimately is in stopping the rise of CERN. But how she's going to do that is another question. She needs the 5100 computer to stop CERN apparently, but how? To read their messages? Overall, there's still a lot I don't know about Suzuha, or Titor for that matter.

Now then, I've seen characters like this before in stories, so if my Genre Savvy senses are correct, then Suzuha would be the child of one or two of the current cast members. Of course, as I have no evidence whatsoever for this, this could just be BS. Consider it my "sixth sense" of sorts. If this is right, then I have a theory on who it could be, but there's absolutely nothing I have to back it up, so I shall refrain from saying anything for now.

However, I do acknowledge this is just conjecture, and like most theories, could easily be proven wrong.[/spoiler]

As for the rest of the series, I like it. The characters are very entertaining (I particularly like the interactions between Okabe and Kurisu). Okabe is funny, Kurisu is a good opposite to him. Daru is likeable, if a little annoying, and Mayuri is okay, I suppose. I didn't like what I saw of her from the VN, but she seems okay enough so far. I haven't really seen enough of the other characters to develop any real feelings for them yet. The plot of course is what's really dragging me along, as I really want to know what's going on and where it'll go.

It does leave a lot out of the VN, but most of what I've seen that they've left out could probably be considered insignificant anyway, so it's not a huge loss (naturally, this could change when I play the full VN and find what I missed). So yeah, loving this so far, and I look forward to the rest.
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 06:30 PM

Up to Episode 16 right now, and hot damn, I'm depressed as hell. Still, this show has gone from "good" to "amazing" at this point. I can't wait to see the rest.
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Jan 14 2012, 01:17 AM

Finished the series just now. That fucking kicked ass! I really regret not seeing it with you guys when I had the chance, because it was without a doubt one of the best series I've seen recently! A definite 10/10.

The only problem is now that I'm craving more, but fortunately, there's several Steins;Gate drama CDs, games, and other stuff to satisfy me for now.

My ranking of the main characters were:

1. Okabe
2. Kurisu
3. Suzuha
(The three above were by far my favorites)

4. Mayuri
5. Daru
6. Feyris
7. Rukako
8. Moeka

So yeah, the plot was great, the characters really made the series, the atmosphere was great (shifting from lighthearted to dark in a very believable way), and was enjoyable from start to finish. Another problem is now trying to find something that can top it.

I don't really have any lingering questions that I don't think the VN won't provide answers for. And yeah, I still plan on playing the VN in the near future, especially since it covers a lot of things not in the anime (though the anime apparently goes for the most coherent storyline possible).

Anyway, a few minor spoiler comments.

[spoiler]-So my Suzuha= John Titor theory was correct, though I got a few points wrong (that it turned out that Suzuha was the origin of the John Titor legend in 2000 as well). I kinda figured that Daru was her father by episode... 10, I think? Whenever it was, it was when Suzuha mentioned her father was supposed to be at that time machine forum meeting.

-FB being Mr. Braun, while being something I didn't see coming, didn't surprise me for some reason. Maybe it's because it didn't seem like FB could be any other character, and introducing FB as a new character would have been a bit of a cop-out, so I figured he was one of the few options left.

-A lot of the episode endings were shocking, such as episode 12 ("Oh god, Mayuri's dead!"), and episode 22 was shocking. ("Hey, you prevented Mayuri's death and a dystopia at the cost of Kurisu's life, but guess what? Not is Suzuha back, but World War III happened instead!")

-I admit I was surprised by Dr. Nakabachi being Kurisu's father, though it was foreshadowed a bit. To be honest, I had almost forgotten about him by the time he was mentioned again.

-I admit I kinda wanted to see more of the future Suzuha came from (both the Alpha and Beta world line ones), but I guess hearing about it was enough. Still think it would make for an interesting spin-off or something.[/spoiler]
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 05:05 PM

So I looked around Youtube, and found three Steins;Gate Drama CDs, each one with a serious storyline. They're all subbed in English, and so you can watch and understand them as well. I thought I'd drop some brief summaries (more like "ads") of each (minimum spoilers) to see if any of you would be interested in seeing them.

The three Drama CDs are called Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Note that the following "ads" have spoilers for the end of the series, so you shouldn't read the "ads" or watch them if you haven't finished the series.

[spoiler]The Alpha Drama CD (Divergence 0.571046%) takes place in Episode 22, back before the world line is shifted from Alpha to Beta. It concerns Kurisu's point of view as she thinks over her last few days of life, trying to accept her upcoming erasure. It gets a little bit more into some backstory with Dr. Nakabachi, as well as Feyris' father.

The Beta Drama CD (Divergence 1.130205%) takes place in Episode 23. It's sort of a what-if, as in "what if Mayuri didn't slap Okabe after his failure to save Kurisu?" and explores the consequences of that. We also learn a bit more about the Beta world line's World War III future. It ties back to the original story by the end, however.

The Gamma Drama CD (Divergence 2.615074%) is the hardest to track down in canon- supposedly, it takes place after Okabe undoes Rukako's e-mail, but before he gets down to undoing Moeka's. Probably would place it around 20-21. Apparently, Okabe somehow made a mistake in sending the D-Mail that undid the one sent to Rukako's mother, and so he arrives in a new world line, the Gamma world line, where he finds that he is a Rounder, with Moeka as his partner, who can now speak normally and doesn't require texting to communicate (though she still has a bit of trouble talking to people), and they receive phone calls directly from FB now. Everything else that's changed and what happens next is much more fun to find out for yourselves. This was probably my favorite.[/spoiler]
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 12:04 AM

So, only one more week until the OVA comes out! I know it's just a bonus episode that doesn't really have anything to do with the main plot, but hell, it's more Steins;Gate! I'll be happy so long as I get to see the cast again, no matter what they're doing!

Speaking of said OVA, is anyone up for watching it on the projector on the 25-26? That's the weekend when it comes out, and it should be subbed by then. I'd love to do it if anyone else is willing to, given how so many of us loved this series.
Cathy
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 09:08 PM

Advanced Member

I'd watch. We cold ask people at the Wednesday meeting before that weekend too.

--------------------
='w'=
InfiniteLoop
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 09:51 PM

So in the end, the OVA was pretty much just what I thought it was going to be- a bit of an epilogue to the anime and a bridge to the movie. Oh well, it was fun to see the cast again, Okabe was as entertaining as always, and I particularly loved the last few minutes of it (though that cock-tease ending kinda annoyed me- come on, give us more than that! Even if it would be a repeat of Episode 22's scene, I don't care! I want to see it again! Here's hoping I get to Japan in time for the movie, and that the sexual tension is finally resolved once and for all in it!).

One thing that did bother me though was-

[spoiler]The appearance of Yuki Amane (Suzuha's mother) contradicts her already pre-established appearance. In the OVA, she looks exactly like Suzuha. However, in Suzuha's spin-off manga, Boukan no Rebellion, (a manga that, while is essentially the series from Suzuha's point of view, is a bit different- the first three chapters take place in 2036, and show the events leading up to Suzuha traveling back to 2010) she looks considerably different, and no, it's not because she's 26 years older- her design is completely different. I hear that the movie is going to have her meeting with Daru somewhere in there, though the manga and the game already established her first meeting with Daru.[/spoiler]

Other than that, I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the movie!
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3772 seconds | Archive