Acid Tech created by Kman of the IF Skin Zone
The Serpent's Lair - dedicated to the Alpha Legion

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Serpent's Lair Alpha Legion Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Codex Legions, Wish Listing
Eetion
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 07:01 PM

Daemon Prince

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23

So. Im sure most have you have heard of the Codex Legions rumours. If true what do you think that will mean for our insidious Legion?

What would you like to see or hate to see?

--------------------
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu

user posted image

http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Badab/index/

I have recently made a Chaos forum. Help me get a new forum off the ground.
ageis
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 07:39 PM

Master Strategist

Group: Global Mods
Member No.: 174

i would like to see a move away from the trend of special charicters allowing certain units as troops. instead a lord wearing TDA unlocks termys as troops, taking a bike allows bikes as troops etc.

also chaos cultists back or chaos guard along the lines of the old eye of terror codex.

and make chosen better, not sure how but they need a boost.

but above all i just want to see multiple fun builds along the lines of what they have done for BA, DE and GK's.

--------------------
still here, in the shadows, watching....waiting....

user posted image
Eetion
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 07:44 PM

Daemon Prince

What about rules wise for the individual Legions?
Infiltrate for us again? Or outflanking?

Id like to see Cultists again, and also better possessed.

--------------------
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu

user posted image

WarpWhisperer
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 09:26 PM

Gone into deep cover....

Member No.: 166

To be honest infiltrate/outflank seems a lot more common; I'd certainly like to see something a little more unique... although what, I'm not sure.

I'd imagine that Codex: Legions would be set up to be several individual lists in one place, kind of like the old 3.5 rules; having one list to cover all the different legions seems little in the way of a departure from what we have now.

--------------------
"I encourage my men to explore the philosophy of bloodshed; to understand the intellectual structure that informs their killing" 'Alpharius', Legion
user posted image
Eetion
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 09:39 PM

Daemon Prince

But its what everyone seemed happy with previously. A master list with several sub lists for the Legions.

Just what do you think would the AL benefit from.

Id also like to see stealth squads.

--------------------
Sun Tzu

user posted image

WarpWhisperer
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 10:01 PM

Gone into deep cover....

One of the gripes that seems to continually appear is that the current codex lacks in it's ability to field forces that are more akin to how you would see any of the specific legion fighting.

C:SM gets away with one book to rule them all as all the Loyalist chapters are supposed to conform to the same template nosmurf.jpg Once that template is ignored (i.e. Black Templars, Space Wolves), then it's no longer relevent.

I think it's hard to see how each individual legion could be better represented with another singular list; that's what we have now. People already can have issues with the various cult units fighting alongside each other in the current format; how will an Iron Warrior unit fighting alonside an Alpha Legion unit, plus the aforemented units dedicated to the major powers be any different?

I also might worry that the AL might get pidgeon holed into the 'Renegades and Heretics' slot, with a few Legionnaires leading traitor guard/cultist units. I hope that this is not the case. sad.gif

--------------------
"I encourage my men to explore the philosophy of bloodshed; to understand the intellectual structure that informs their killing" 'Alpharius', Legion
user posted image
Eetion
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 10:07 PM

Daemon Prince

Yet your lookig at 9 lists to run things that way. The glory days were only ever list with variations and limitations for each legion from that main list. It also enabled people to make their own effectively as well.

The older system worked well, with each Legion having a 'perk' and/or a 'restriction' it enabled the creation for some fluffy lists, yet still made competitive games and enabled Thousand Sons armies and World Eaters as well Night Lords, Alpha Legion etc.

--------------------
Sun Tzu

user posted image

WarpWhisperer
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 10:29 PM

Gone into deep cover....

It was a little more than just the perk/restriction that you suggested; although by the time you got to the undivided Legions the rules were a little more sparse, and the changes less wholesale. However, the four 'major' legions had a wealth of wargear/units/spells/gifts in their specific rules, which does in my mind constitute their own list; much more than a simple FOC change or singular extra units that seems to be more prevelant these days.

I really do hope that the AL get more than 3.5 gave them; although I enjoyed my infiltrating marines and cultists, I think the fluff and character of the Legion is greter now, and would hope for more in the rules; certainly a stealth squad of some description would indeed be very welcome.

--------------------
user posted image
cunvikted
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 02:25 AM

Aspiring Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 469

I honestly see a very big book with a lot of different options. We're are talking about 9 very different legions w/ very different fighting styles. And a book that will try to compensate as much as possible.

I see something as versatile as C:SM. I can see the different legions getting good elite and troop choices. Maybe Iron Warriors will get some cool heavy support, Night Lords and AL getting some awesome fast attack. as well as cultist for AL and Word Bearers. I just see something better. And the worst part of it is I will be forced to jump on a bandwagon in order to get something that all us C:CSM wanted to begin with. Either way I'm gonna be excited to see what come up. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Secrecy is, as always, our most potent weapon"--Omegon
Shadowblade
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 12:17 PM

Cult leader

Member No.: 473

I think it'll be something along the lines of C:SM, with the legions all rolled up into one big book. We may see cult troops moved back to elites unless you run a lord with that mark then they are troops. And I know someone mentioned they would like to see less special characters but I dont see that happening at all, in fact I think they may have more than just the couple we have now, as in C:SM. There is Shrike (Raven Guard) Lysander (Imperial Fists) etc...
Hopefully we get an Alpha Legion character! Hydramark.jpg Could give the whole army infiltrate, or make it more possible to get first turn as Baron Sathonyx does for DE. Or a night lords hero but either way I see that as the direction they are going with these new codexs; orks, DE, SM, BA. A good solid selection of units with special characters to boost or enhance the army to give it a whole different play style from someone else who may also be playing chaos. The major four may still get some extra perks as befits "team players" (except Kharn wink.gif ) for always fighting and killing in the name of one patron. We shall see though, anything would be a step up from this renegade garbage. yes I said it, garbage lol...

--------------------
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil,

'The Light at the End of the Tunnel' has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Shadowblade
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 12:24 PM

Cult leader

Chapter Tactics! Thats what I was lookin for in that last post lol. Shrike gives whole army fleet, Lysander gives them Stubborn and I'm sure we'll be seeing something similar in the new codex as thats an easier way for GW to represent the different legions.
Oh and hopefully we get combat squads as they seem to have their uses

--------------------

Eetion
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 02:59 PM

Daemon Prince

I hope not. That would mean every one of us have to take a special character to play our legion. I hate that about marines.

--------------------
Sun Tzu

user posted image

Shadowblade
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 03:33 PM

Cult leader

I hope not as well, I prefer how it used to be with 3.5? Is that the one where we all got infiltrate and got to use cultists? Night lords got extra Fast Attack slot etc etc... But unfortunately special characters seems to be the evil pattern I've noticed with these new codexs...
Some chaos legions should get their own codex though, I mean there are enough loyal marine variants. Even Black Templars got their own, but we cant even seperate chaos legions from renegades? Epic fail...

--------------------

Arkos the Faithless
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 05:33 PM

Chaos Chosen

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (Eetion @ Aug 8 2011, 02:59 PM)
I hope not. That would mean every one of us have to take a special character to play our legion. I hate that about  marines.

Well that is the sad truth about new codex these days. GW has turned over from the days when Special Charcters were permission only to now they are basicly required if you want to run a specific army build. The newest books are chock full of characters that allow X Skill or Units for Y Character. It sucks to be honest, of course I began playing when you built your own lord and enjoyed playing with your own creation instead of taking some off the shelf special character in order to run your army, although I'm sure some new players would laugh today and say they would never run a vanilla lord because they are weak and special charcters are wave of the future.

Anyways....Our legion would benefit from such things as outflanking and scout I think. Yes cultist would be nice, but unless GW feels CSMs need some squishy new slave unit I doubt we will see them. CSM already have that in the Lesser Daemons units. The thing about the AL is that it's background and fighting style are unknown for the most part, yes there are stealth squads, but what is that a marine unit that sneaks about...Outflanking/Scout. Besides that we don't really have a signature unit or fighting style. We are indeed a very vanilla legion since our history is not as well known.

Combat squading I doubt we will see, especially when our regular CSM troop choices can be 20 marines deep. I don't see anything wrong with the Chosen unit, besides maybe the weapons opetion, althoug an outflanking unit that can pack 4-5 meltas is nasty buisness.

I would like to see something similar to CSM 3.5 but I expect we will see something similar to BA or SW when it's all done.

--------------------
Arkos the Faithless Alpha Legion Blog: Pre Heresy Alpha Squad
WarpWhisperer
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 05:57 PM

Gone into deep cover....

QUOTE (Eetion @ Aug 8 2011, 02:59 PM)
I hope not. That would mean every one of us have to take a special character to play our legion. I hate that about  marines.

We might be lucky in that regard, considering the Alpharius factor, and not have a 'heroic' special character as a result...

I was also thinking that Chosen units as troops would be very nice indeed biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Quick Reply

Warvault Webring
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0873 seconds | Archive