InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to A Magpie's Nest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

C15 On the side of the mountain, FINAL RESOLUTION
magpie
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 11:58 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

CR-ROTK C15 The Mouth of Sauron 5:59 - 7:18 and 7:39 - end? (the orchestra swells and I can't tell how long, if at all, the voices continue past that swell).

scene: this starts just after Gimli says he could see himself dying side by side with a friend and the camera cuts to Frodo and Sam. Frodo collapses and Sam takes him in his arms and begins his 'Do you remember the Shire' monologue. The voices stop as Frodo says all he can see is the Wheel of Fire but resume when Sam declares, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."

According to the AS-ROTK, the source text is
The Argument
Caedo, losto.
Ú-erin davo.
Amman harthach?
Anim únad.
Le tûg nach.
O hon ú-wannathon.
Ú-moe le anno nad.
Ónen a hon beth nín.
Gurth han ristatha.
Ta han narcho Gurth.
Gar vethed e-chúnen,
go hon bedithon na meth.

The CR and the extended cut of the movie match. (I'm not saying the TE doesn't match, only that I'm working off the EE). It seems to me that the voices are perhaps more strongly mixed in the movie.

The OST, Track 15, The Black Gate Opens:
The music heard at 5:59 on the CR starts at 2:03 on the OST. These parts of the two match:
OST 2:05-2:48
CR 5:59-6:46
The next little phrase, which is about 10 seconds long, is similar in the two but not exactly the same.

From, 2:57-3:23, the OST music is not in this 'on the side of the mountain scene' (see website for more info.) At 3:23, the music switches back to the side of the mountain with Sam's "I'll carry you" that matches the CR at 7:39.

Therefore, I think the lyrics for the OST should match in those spots. BUT... there's that 'middle' part of the OST which doesn't flow with the movie or the CR. If this is a different composition for a different cut, it's possible that there are some differences in lyrics. And it's possible that the lyrics I have for the OST are wrong.

The lyrics I have for the OST

[02:05] han
[02:08] narcho
[02:10] Gurth.
[02:13] Gar
[02:15] vethed
[02:18] e-chúnen,
[02:31] go
[02:34] hon
[02:38] bedithon
[02:42] na
[02:45] meth.

and then the middle part not used in this scene for the movie. (It was found in a later scene). It doesn't have the syllables broken down as finely and I don't know if it flows into the part that is shared with the movie and the CR. So I'll stick them here. Remember, what follows immediately below and is found immediately above, is for the OST. Not the CR. These two suggestions were made by two different people.

[2:03] Ta han narcho gurth.
[2:13] Gar vethed e – chúnen,
[2:30] Go hon bedithon na meth.
[2:48] Gar vethed e – chúnen,
[3:05] Go hon bedithon na meth.
magpie
Posted: Dec 31 2007, 11:54 PM

Administrator

The first part is the same as the OST except that I can hear some singing before 'han' which I will guess to be 'Ta'. So, assuming my OST lyrics are correct, we can apply that to the CR.

The whole part with e-chúnen is a little unclear. I suspect there's some counterpoint going on.

CR time stamps:

[05:59] Ta
[06:01] han
[06:04] nar
[06:06] cho
[06:06] Gurth.
[06:09] Gar
[06:11] vethed
[06:14] e-chúnen,
[06:26] go
[06:29] hon
[06:31] be
[06:33] di
[06:36] thon
[06:38] na
[06:41] meth

The music from 6:46 is different on the CR than on the OST. The singing continues but drops out at 7:19 (I think). I can't determine what's being sung there.

At 7:39, the voices resume and the music here matches the music on the OST (at 3:23). This is when Sam picks up Frodo to carry him up the mountain.

I think the voices are singing 'na meth' at 7:39. I can't hear voices after that on the CR. If they're there, they're buried under the orchestra. But they clearly continue on in the movie.
magpie
Posted: Apr 30 2010, 07:32 PM

Administrator

The CR is the same as the movie but the ROTK-OST, track 15, The Black Gate Opens doesn't follow the movie exactly.
To allow for accounting between the three, I broke this scene into four subsections.
Part 1 : OST (2:03-2:28) is the same as the CR and the movie
Part 2 : OST (2:28-3:03) starts the same as the CR and the movie but veers off more and more as it progress
Part 3 : this music is not on the OST
Part 4 : OST (3:23-3:56) is the same as the CR and the movie

part 1: Struggling up the mountain : 5:59-6:24

three fast beats per bar, time stamps every other bar
triple dots is note sustained over a beat.
[5:59] ta ... ... ... ... ta
[6:01] han ... ... ... ... ...
[6:04] nar- ... ... ... ... nar-
[6:06] cho ... ... gurth ... ...
[6:09] gar ... ... ... ... ga®
[6:11] ve- ... ... ... ... ...
[6:14] thed ... ... ... ... ...
[6:16] e- ... ... ... ... ...
[6:19] ... ... ... ... ... ...
[6:21] chú- ... ... ... ... ...

part 2: "Do you remember the Shire, Mr Frodo?" : 6:24-7:16
“Do you remember the shire, Mr. Frodo? “It will be spring soon and the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they’ll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields… and eating the first of the strawberries with cream.“ “No, Sam. I can’t recall the taste of food… nor the sound of water… nor the touch of grass. I... I'm....“

three fast beats per bar, time stamps every four bars

[6:24] nen ... ... ... ... nen go ... ... ... ... ...
[6:29] hon ... ... ... ... ho(n) be- ... ... ... ... ...
[6:34] di- ... ... ... ... ... thon ... ... ... ... ...
[6:39] na ... ... ... ... ... meth ... ... .. ... ...
[6:44] han ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[6:49] na® ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[6:54] cho ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[6:59] gur(th) ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[7:03] gar ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[7:09] ve- ... ... ... ... ... thed ... ... ... ... ...
[7:14] e- ... ... ... ... ...

part 3: "Naked in the dark." : 7:16-7:39
"...naked in the dark. There's nothing. No veil between me and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!" "Then let us be rid of it! Once and for all!"
choir does closed humming - no lyrics

part 4: Sam carries Frodo. : 7:39-8:12
"Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you! Come on!"

three fast beats per bar, time stamps every four bars

[7:39] na ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[7:43] meth ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

four fast beats per bar, time stamps every other bar
[7:47] di ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[7:53] tho(n) ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[7:58] na ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
[8:03] meth ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

FINAL RESOLUTION
« Next Oldest | ROTK | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1374 seconds | Archive