Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to A Magpie's Nest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

15. Theodred's Funeral Procession (sung by choir), PROBABLY UNRESOLVABLE - not in TTT Live!
magpie
Posted: Mar 30 2007, 06:08 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Even though this music essentially the prelude to Eowyn's sung lament for Theodred, I decided to separate it out in terms of my website purely because the two pieces are so distinct in delivery.

The choral prelude is heard on the CR-TTT, Théoden King, B-3, 3:30 – 4:00.

The AS-TTT says, "Ceremonial chorus enters singing “The Funeral of Théodred,” over which Éowyn (Miranda Otto) chants a melody line by Plan 9"

I don't think the choir is singing 'under' Eowyn's solo. Can anyone hear this? But we're told the lyrics are the same for choir and solo: The Funeral of Theodred.

I'm pretty sure I can hear the choir for the first 15 seconds but I can't tell if they're singing syllables or just providing 'hums'. Then there are three syllables sung close together (3:45 - 3:50) and then a final syllable at 3:53.

I think those three syllables could be Bealocwealm. But I can't make anything out of the hummy first 15 seconds, nor determine what the last syllable at 3:53 could be.

Any thoughts?

Source text... lines in green are used for Eowyn's solo:

Nú on théostrum licgeth Théodred se léofa
hæ´letha holdost.
ne sceal hearpan sweg wigend weccean;
ne winfæ´t gylden guma sceal healdan,
ne god hafoc geond sæ´l swingan,
ne se swifta mearh burhstede beatan.
Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended
giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende
on Meduselde thæt he ma no wære
his dryhtne dyrest and maga deorost.
Elvenscribe07
Posted: May 28 2007, 04:16 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

I hear (from the soundclip):

[0:09] bea
[0:14] loc
[0:16] wealm
[0:18] thæt
[0:21] he

I am very unsure about 0:18 - 0:21. At first, I thought I heard "hafað," but as I listened to it more, I could tell that probably isn't the case. But it makes little sense: An evil death that he? Well then again, there have been similar cases where the lyrics sound nice but make little sense.

Any ideas?

Elvenscribe07
Posted: Jun 18 2007, 04:16 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

I'm gonna give this another shot now that I have the CR.

I agree with Magpie that "bealocwealm" is sung at 3:45 - 3:50. I didn't realize it at first because the choir pronounces it differently than Miranda Otto. I thought it was sung 10 seconds earlier before.

[03:32] ne (drawn out until about 03:39)
[03:40] nú
[03:45] bea
[03:48] loc
[03:49] wealm
[03:53] he

After umpteen listens, I'm still unsure. unsure.gif It translates to: nor now evil death he. That makes about as much sense as "Namarie" from the Banishment of Eomer and Shadowfax's theme.

Opinions?
magpie
Posted: Nov 2 2007, 04:15 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well, I am heartened by the fact you can 'hear' bealocwealm.

As to the syllables before and after: learning a good lesson from the piece you refer to: Namarie in the Banishment of Eomer... I don't think I'm going to speculate on what those could be. If they're broken up, with this soft singing we really won't be able to know with any certainty at all. In fact, I will say - after the Banishment of Eomer - we don't have even a slim chance at being right.

My website already mentions bealocwealm and I think I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for listening Elvenscribe

For the first time, I'm going to declare lyrics PROBABLY UNRESOLVABLE. That means that, unless new official information emerges, I will probably not publish anyone's guess since we don't have much chance at figuring it out. (Due to soft voices and fragmented lyrics)

That doesn't mean that people can't speculate or work on it... only fair warning that I probably won't publish those speculations.
« Next Oldest | TTT | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1383 seconds | Archive